|Theater of operations|
The Wastewander, or Wastewander Bandits, are a band of outlaw nomads who previously wandered Noonshade Ruins and Waterspring Field in Tanaris. They have taken control of many of the water sources in the desert, and were thus despised by the Gadgetzan Water Company. Their leader is Caliph Scorpidsting.
After the Cataclysm, all of them, along with their leader, are now found at the Eastmoon Ruins. Numerous members of the organization have also been spotted in the recently uncovered region of Uldum, having gained access when the zone's shield was damaged. They are led by Warlord Ihsenn. They can be found the Sahket Wastes and the Ruins of Ahmtul, and have raided the Seal of the Sun King. Some became Schnottz's Landing Laborers, as evidenced by the Slacking Laborers' quotes:
- Slacking Laborer says: I should never have left Tanaris.
- Slacking Laborer says: I was happier as a Wastewander.
The Wastewander Bandits descend from a small band of human pirates who arrived in Kalimdor around year 20, shortly after its discovery by the people of the Eastern Kingdoms. When the Southsea Pirates arrived at Tanaris, they got into competition with the Wastewanders, fighting them and stealing the few ships their enemies had, resulting in the Southsea pirates marooning the Wastewanders in Tanaris. Thus the Wastewanders took to a new life as bandits and started raiding rich goblin settlements and capturing their life-giving water wells. After the failure of Uldum's cloaking device in year 28, a group of bandits split off from the Wastewanders to pilfer the treasures of the titans.
- Wastewander Assassin
- Wastewander Bandit
- Wastewander Rogue
- Wastewander Scofflaw
- Wastewander Shadow Mage
- Wastewander Thief
All Wastewander NPCs in Tanaris have (or had) a chance of dropping a . These are once used to be turned in to Spigot Operator Luglunket in stacks of 5 for Gadgetzan reputation and a , which may contain food, water, and/or potions. Wastewander NPCs, as of Cataclysm, no longer drop leatherworking patterns for the Tough Scorpid collection armor pieces.
Gadgetzan Water Company
- Murdering Gadgetzan Water Co. employees
- Stealing Gadgetzan Water Co. resources
- Seizing Gadgetzan Water Co. property
Gained Rep from normal Wastewander NPCs.
In the RPG
Wastewander Bandits attack the water wells located throughout Tanaris. They will kill you in sight and steal your water. Moreover, if rumors true, they “distill” your body, draining all the liquid out for their own use.
- According to Ask CDev, most humans in Tanaris have not been there for more than 12 years, and, in the case of Uldum, no more than 4 years.
- The Ancestral Guardians of Uldum are portrayed as humans in-game, being called "ancestral" and being part of a titan security system, are implied to have been around much longer. However this may possibly have been a developer oversight. Similar NPCs are Indentured Protectors.
- Wastewanders are led by a caliph, a title originating from Islam. However, there is no lore about the Wastewander's variant of caliphate.
Before being captured, Enslaved Bandits were likely Wastewanders.