Wights are an unusual species of undead used occasionally by the Scourge. They most closely resemble a zombie, but their bodies have grown to monstrous sizes and are horridly deformed. It is unknown how this transformation occurred.
They are mostly employed in places of importance: Magistrate Barthilas protects the key to the city of Stratholme, while two other wights (Feugen and Stalagg) act as the bodyguards of the flesh titan Thaddius. In addition, The Ravenian is one of the six bosses that must be defeated to summon Darkmaster Gandling in The Scholomance.
In the RPG
- According to Johnathan Staats, the wight model was created by Roman Kenney by modifying the ghoul model. Wights use the same animation sets as ghouls but have different geometry.
- Wights share a model skeleton with dire orcs and prior to patch 5.2 with dire trolls.
- With their flat heads, and bolts implanted in their neck, wights have a very similar design to film depictions of Frankenstein's monster. They are frequently quite intelligent, and seem to retain the mind that they had in life. This cumbersome and beast-like movement combined with human wit furthers the parallel with the monster portrayed in the Frankenstein novel, however it distances the similarity to the popular conception of Frankenstein.
- ^ Borgstrom, Rebecca; Eric Brennan, Genevieve Cogman, and Michael Goodwin. Manual of Monsters, 150. ISBN 978-1588-4607-07.
- ^ MMO-Champion 2018-09-24. John Staats Interview - The World of Warcraft Diary (13:13). YouTube. Retrieved on 2018-09-24.