- For the lore of the zone and its status before the Cataclysm, see Winterspring (Classic).
|Level: 40 - 60|
Battle Pet Level: 17 - 18
Northeastern Northern Kalimdor
Winterspring (also known as Winterspring Valley) is a valley located in Northern Kalimdor, east of Felwood, northeast of Mount Hyjal, and north of Azshara. It holds the goblin town of Everlook, old night elven holdings, and the primary home of the blue dragonflight on Kalimdor. Many wild creatures roam this beautiful landscape.
- 1 History
- 2 Getting there
- 3 Geography
- 4 Notable characters
- 5 Quests
- 6 Resources
- 7 Wild creatures
- 8 In the RPG
- 9 Notes
- 10 Gallery
- 11 Videos
- 12 Patch changes
- 13 References
- 14 External links
|This section is a lore stub.|
During the events of Third War, Thrall's Horde, the Alliance remnants, the Scourge, the night elven Sentinels and the corrupted satyrs made camps here. Tyrande Whisperwind and Malfurion Stormrage destroyed a human camp and the satyrs and awakened the druids of talon in the Barrow Dens. At the same time, a death revenant cursed a glade, raising skeletons and ghosts in the area. Tyrande, Malfurion, and the Sentinels defeated him and the glade recovered.
World of Warcraft
The Burning Crusade
This section concerns content related to The Burning Crusade.
Wrath of the Lich King
Winterspring can be accessed through Timbermaw Hold. To reach Winterspring, head through the hold entrance in the northeastern tip of Felwood and continue straight after the bridge. It used to be that, in order to pass through the hold without the Timbermaw Furbolgs attacking you, you would need to have reached at least unfriendly reputation with the Timbermaw furbolgs. There are several quests in Felwood which can be completed to raise reputation with them. This is no longer necessary and Timbermaw mobs are unfriendly but will not attack.
Both the Steamwheedle Cartel and the night elves have established bases in the region. Though there are no instanced dungeons or battlegrounds in Winterspring, there are several micro dungeons in the area.
Maps and subregions
Flight paths from Everlook
- Orgrimmar, Durotar
- Bilgewater Harbor, Azshara
- Talonbranch Glade, Felwood
- Irontree Clearing, Felwood
- Nordrassil, Mount Hyjal
Regions adjacent to Winterspring
|Zone Name||Faction||Level Range||Direction||Access|
|Azshara||10 - 60||Southeast||By jumping down with // from the small camp east of Frostwhisper Gorge.|
|Felwood||40 - 60||West||By foot through Timbermaw Hold or flightpaths from Everlook to Bloodvenom Post or Talonbranch Glade.|
|Moonglade||N/A||Northwest||By foot through Timbermaw Hold or flight paths from Everlook to Shrine of Remulos.|
|Mount Hyjal||80 - 90||Southwest||By flying.|
- Main article: Winterspring NPCs
- Main article: Winterspring storyline
Quests in Winterspring mostly revolve around hunting the local wildlife or investigating the sources of madness plaguing them. Throughout their progression through the zone, players go from fighting the Winterfall tribe at the request of Donova Snowden, to studying Highborne spirits at Lake Kel'Theril, to game hunting from Everlook and the Goodgrub Smoking Pit, to helping the blue dragonflight exiles at Mazthoril reclaim their home.
- Dark trolls
- Thunder lizards
In the RPG
Winterspring (also known as Winterspring Valley or Winterspring Grove) is a frozen land covered in snow similar to Dun Morogh. While most night elves find the land less hospitable than the nearby forests, a number of elves reside there for two main reasons: first, it is in close proximity to Mount Hyjal; and second, its mysterious hot springs may be connected to demon activity. Winterspring's perpetual cold is natural enough, and it is the closest area to Mount Hyjal's summit. This valley has long been involved in a struggle between malevolent blue dragons and the fearsome white frostsaber cats.
The ancient ruins in Winterspring are evidence of the scars left by the Sundering. Once hinterlands, the entire eastern expanse was ripped away during the Sundering, leaving a sprawling coastline.
Thousands of years ago, this valley upon the slopes of Mount Hyjal served as a place for the night elves to start anew in the wake of the Sundering. It was also here, long ago, that dragons took up residence to watch over neighboring Hyjal and the nearby World Tree Nordrassil. The blue dragonflight keeps its vigil here, whereas most of the other dragonflights have moved to the base of the World Tree or other locations. The recent success of Everlook has brought more adventurers into Winterspring, which the natives hope will aid them in defeating the threat of the demons of Darkwhisper Gorge.
The goblins of Everlook recently discovered a new mine to the south of their city, not far from the dragon caves of Mazthoril. This mine is valuable due to a large amount of arcanite within it, but thus far it proves inaccessible. While not part of the blue dragon's cave complex, the dragons are territorial, and so the goblins are looking for a hero that can find a way to convince the blue dragonflight to allow them access to the mine, in exchange of a nice reward of course.
Winterspring lies to the east of Felwood and Moonglade, and to the northeast of Hyjal Summit. The easiest access to any of these locations on foot is through the caves of the Timbermaw furbolgs, although Everlook offers flying mounts that travel to Felwood or Moonglade — for a price.
Winterspring Valley is above Moonglade and is the last stop along the road that winds up to Hyjal Peak. The valley is separated from Moonglade, lower on the mountain slope, by a thick, white cloud bank. Once above the clouds, the air is crisp and clean and the sun shines often when the snow is not falling. The trees of Winterspring were bent and twisted into odd positions during the climactic Battle of Mount Hyjal. Many of the World Tree's massive roots are also exposed here, towering overhead like massive oak archways.
Only three major humanoid settlements exist in this region: the night elven village of Starfall, and more interestingly, the goblin town of Everlook. The third is Mazthoril, home of Kalimdor's blue dragonflight. Everlook is located on the far east side of Winterspring, near the center, and Starfall Village is slightly to the northwest.
Several creatures live in the icy terrain, such as chimeras, polar bears, and the rare and legendary frostsaber cats. Almost all of the animals here are vicious and dangerous predators. These animals are only rarely seen due to the high altitude. It is a place of cold medium forest and rugged mountains.
- Darkwhisper Gorge formerly occupied a rather large portion of the zone. It held elite demons of an approximate five-man difficulty who have guarded a non-functional entrance to Mount Hyjal. When the Cataclysm expansion was released, the subzone was merged with the Hyjal zone. However, the edge of the mountain drop between Darkwhisper Gorge in Hyjal and Azshara is still considered part of Winterspring, and players briefly enter and exit Winterspring when flying between Hyjal and Azshara.
- Prior to Wrath of the Lich King, Blizzard sometimes used footage of Winterspring as a stand-in for the continent of Northrend (such as in the Shadow of the Necropolis trailer and the portals in Kel'Thuzad's Chamber in Naxxramas).
- Patch 7.3.5 (2018-01-16): Level scaling implemented, previous zone level: 50 - 55.
- Patch 4.0.3a (2010-11-23): Updated. Darkwhisper Gorge subzone moved to Mount Hyjal zone.
- Patch 0.10 (2004-09-18): Opened.
- ^ Jaron Stoneshaper
- ^ The Druids Arise image description
- ^ The Druids Arise (WC3 NightElf)
- ^ Dark Portal Opens
- ^ Argent Emissary#Quotes
- ^ a b c d "Eternity's End: The Druids Arise", Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos. Blizzard Entertainment.
- ^ World of Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game, pg. 19
- ^ World of Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game, pg. 203
- ^ a b Lands of Mystery, pg. 23
- ^ a b c d Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game, pg. 212
- ^ a b c d Lands of Mystery, pg. 26
- ^ Warcraft: The Roleplaying Game, pg. 211 - 212
- ^ a b Lands of Mystery, pg. 24