- For the Isle of Conquest building, see Workshop (Isle of Conquest). For the subzone in Blackrock Foundry, see Workshop (Blackrock Foundry).
Workshops are the hideaways where smiths, engineers and inventors gather to work together and create technological devices and war machines. As tinkerer races, the gnomes, dwarves and goblins are all known to use workshops even though the latter also have their own goblin laboratories.
- Main article: Gnomish Inventor (Warcraft II)
The inventors were highly adept at creating outlandishly clever contraptions for military use. Among the many bizarre inventions created by the gnomes were the flying machines that hovered high above both land and sea, as well as the implausible submarine that could move under the seas. The gnomes were also responsible for perfecting the technique of extracting various chemical compounds out of oil to make gunpowder and explosives. Although the gnomes were a bit odd and eccentric, none could deny their value to the Alliance.
- Main article: Workshop (Warcraft III)
The workshop is a hideaway where dwarven smiths labor amid smoke and steel to create their unique innovations. Flying gyrocopters are assembled at this location, as well as heavily armored steam tanks. Artillery is thoroughly researched in workshops, providing ammunition for the mobile dwarven mortar teams.
As a result of the catastrophe in Gnomeregan, Alliance workshops of the Third War were operated by dwarves without the participation of gnomish engineers and laborers. However, gnomish blueprints and designs were still used.
In the RPG
Exceptional tinkers have made this community their home. Signs of a workshop include; sturdy clockwork devices assisting the locals in their labors, stockpiles of mechanical parts, and phlogiston collectors.
World of Warcraft
This section concerns content related to the original World of Warcraft.
Workshops are relatively rare as buildings. Any engineer's home could be considered as a workshop, and any place where vehicles and siege weapons are prepared could be as well. Some areas are specifically identified as workshops:
- Workshop Entrance - Gnomeregan
- Westspark Workshop, Eastspark Workshop and four more unnamed Goblin Workshops - Wintergrasp
- Workshop - Isle of Conquest
- Mimir's Workshop - Storm Peaks
- Gnomish Gearworks - Lunarfall & Goblin Workshop - Frostwall (potentially)
- Thaelin's Workshop - Gorgrond
- Draxen's Workshop - Talador
- Engineering Works - Stormshield
- Telaari Station & Wor'var - Nagrand (potentially)
- Workshop - Blackrock Foundry
- Oculeth's Workshop - Suramar
- Nyell's Workshop - Suramar
- Gnopetto's workshop - Tanaris
- Deserted Workshop - Tanaris
- Engineering Works - Orgrimmar
- Dwarven and goblin workshops in Battle for Stromgarde
The Strand of the Ancients battleground also have several unnamed workshops. As places where siege engines and shredders are prepared, Sprocket's Garage in Stormshield and Gallywix's Garage in Warspear could be considered workshops as well.
- In the canceled Warcraft Adventures, Thrall had to infiltrate the workshop of a group of gnomish inventors to steal some of their devices. The workshop was protected by several devices, such as tesla coils, nets, and automated weapons.
Interior of a workshop in Warcraft Adventures.