World of Warcraft: Paragons
|World of Warcraft Paragons|
March 31, 2014
World of Warcraft: Paragons is an e-book compilation of short stories by various authors. It was released on March 31, 2014. Included are the Leader Short Stories (2010-2011), Road to Damnation (2006), The War of the Shifting Sands (2005), Unbroken (2007), and the exclusive novella Blood of the Highborne.
Though their soldiers form a unified front on the battlefield, both the Alliance and the Horde include diverse races and nations within their ranks. Each of those nations has at its helm a leader of heroism and legend. Their actions and decisions shape Azeroth and forge its destiny. They inspire loyalty and loathing, fervor and fear, sometimes all from their own people.
What do these heroes do when faced with conflict and strife? How do they handle the tremendous responsibility of guiding their armies and citizens on the front line and at home? In this anthology of sixteen short stories, each champion finds his or her own answers to these questions. Read their tales and learn what makes them who they are today—learn what makes them paragons.
- Heart of War by Sarah Pine - Garrosh Hellscream, a hero of Northrend, gets his first taste of life in Thrall's nation of Durotar, experiences that will shake and shape the orc warlord's outlook on life.
- Lord of His Pack by James Waugh - Genn Greymane, exiled monarch of a fallen kingdom, deals with the aftermath of his flight from Gilneas and the loss of his son as he leads his people across the great ocean.
- Trade Secrets of a Trade Prince by Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie - The ruthlessly cunning Trade Prince Gallywix narrates his life story and rise to power, while offering tips and advice to would-be trade princes.
- Fire and Iron by Matt Burns - With the formation of the Council of Three Hammers, the hero Kurdran Wildhammer travels to Ironforge to take his place among the leaders of the tensely-united dwarven clans.
- The Judgment by Brian Kindregan - The history of Vol'jin, son of Sen'jin, as well the great Darkspear traitor Zalazane, is told through the chieftain's eyes.
- Cut Short by Cameron Dayton - The intrepid king of gnomes, High Tinker Gelbin Mekkatorque, leads his people in the reclamation of Gnomeregan, and confronts an old friend-turned-enemy.
- As Our Fathers Before Us by Steven Nix - Baine Bloodhoof succeeds his father as chieftain of the united tauren tribes, and is tested by both politics and threats to his people, as well as lingering discord.
- Seeds of Faith by Valerie Watrous - In the aftermath of the Cataclysm, Tyrande Whisperwind deals with disasters and resurgent naga attacks in night elven lands, as well as dangers to those she loves.
- Edge of Night by Dave Kosak - As the Forsaken invasion of Gilneas begins, Sylvanas Windrunner prepares to end her cursed existence. However, fate, the afterlife, and the val'kyr still have plans for the banshee queen.
- Blood of Our Fathers by E. Daniel Arey - On Remembrance Day, Stormwind king Varian Wrynn prepares to lead the Alliance through a new era of turmoil wrought on by the Cataclysm.
- In the Shadow of the Sun by Sarah Pine - Lor'themar Theron, regent lord of Quel'Thalas, deals with the aftermath of his prince's betrayal and the future of the blood elves becoming his alone to guide, while seeking to make amends for the past and forge into the future.
- Prophet's Lesson by Marc Hutcheson - The divine Prophet Velen has visions of the great conflict to come. With the Exodar now fully functional, issues with the Alliance arising, and the looming battle with the Legion ahead of them, other draenei reconsider their place on Azeroth.
- Road to Damnation by Evelyn Fredericksen - The necromancer Kel'Thuzad conceals his abilities from his increasingly suspicious peers, while events are set in motion that will change himself and Lordaeron forever.
- The War of the Shifting Sands by Micky Neilson - As the war against Ahn'Qiraj reaches its final stages, tragedy awaits the mighty archdruid of Darnassus, Fandral Staghelm.
- Unbroken by Micky Neilson - Having lost his connection to the Light during the sacking of Shattrath, the former vindicator Nobundo, now warped into a Broken, is exiled from draenei society and guided to a new source of power by the elements of Draenor.
- Blood of the Highborne by Micky Neilson - Set before, during, and after the Scourge invasion of Quel'Thalas, the story follows Lady Liadrin's life as a priestess, a warrior, and eventually a Blood Knight, as she leads the blood elf paladins of Silvermoon into a new era in Thalassian history.
- The final entry in the collection, Blood of the Highborne, is one of the longest-awaited stories in Warcraft history. It was first conceived around 2007, though publication difficulties (as a novella, it's considerably lengthier than the other short stories) never saw it released until now.
- Unbroken and Highborne essentially serve as prequels to the inclusion of draenei shamans and blood elf paladins. The two stories have some similar themes, including issues with the Light following a catastrophe.
- Each of the stories is labelled with an "Alliance" or "Horde" marker as appropriate.