|Title||The Light Mother|
|Affiliation(s)||Army of the Light|
Xe'ra (pronounced ZEE-ruh), the Light Mother (also spelled Lightmother, or the Mother of Light) was the prime naaru, one of the first naaru to be forged during the great ordering of the cosmos. For a time her spirit was disembodied from her injured body, only an astral presence in the Great Dark Beyond.
Xe'ra was one of the first naaru forged during the great ordering of the cosmos. Archmage Khadgar believes, based on a passage in an ancient cosmology tome he found in Karazhan, that the Prime Naaru may have been created by . After the fall of Argus, the draenei's finest warriors followed the prime naaru Xe'ra across the cosmos as the Army of the Light in an eternal war to bring about the Legion's end. Since then, other survivors of the Burning Crusade have joined the ranks of the Lightforged.
Xe'ra never told the army that naaru can fall to the Void, as she did not want them to know about that. This is in contrast with the naaru of the Sha'tar, who have historically been open about the dual nature of naaru.
A Thousand Years of WarThis section concerns content exclusive to the Warcraft novels or short stories.
Please add any available information to this section.
Even though had been advised against it, she started delving into the Void, and left the Army of the Light under tutelage of . She would eventually return to the Xenedar, and aid the Army against the Burning Legion. Xe'ra tried to convince her to abandon her endeavor and keep to the Light, but Alleria refused, and accepted to remain imprisoned aboard the Xenedar. Xe'ra focused all her efforts into aiding the champions of Azeroth and sent her core, referred to as Light's Heart, to aid them, though this action weakened her.
LegionThis section concerns content exclusive to Legion.
Light's Heart cut a swathe through the Felstorm above the Tomb of Sargeras, and was emanating enough power that Silver Hand scouts could feel it coursing through their body. It fell near the coast of Suramar where it was first found by gilgoblins, who brought it to a sea giant, from whom an order champion would retrieve it. A message from High General Turalyon revealed that Light's Heart had been sent as the Army of the Light's last resort and to be handed to Prophet Velen, as they were fighting their final war against the Burning Legion. At the Exodar, Velen stated that Light's Heart could only be unlocked by another naaru in Xe'ra's line, of which was the last remaining. For the same reason, O'ros was killed during the Battle for the Exodar by Rakeesh, Velen's long lost son. However, the Tears of Elune still managed to open Light's Heart at Khadgar's suggestion.
Upon doing so, the spirit of the order champion was sent to Xe'ra. There, she told them about her prophecy, of which - the "child of Light and Shadow" - is central. Illidan would be the cause of the Legion's ultimate demise. Through Light's Heart, she would later continue to communicate with the champion charged to protect her core and try to guide them towards "redemption", as in her eyes the champion's participation (if applicable) in the death of Illidan at the Black Temple was a terrible mistake. Xe'ra claimed that once their work of reuniting Illidan's body with his soul was done, her final task would be complete and she would be lost to the Great Dark Beyond. However, she wasn't. Her core would be brought to the rest of her body aboard the Xenedar and made whole again, though she would die to Illidan himself shortly after as she tried to forge him with the Light.
Shadows of Argus
Turalyon, Alleria, and an adventurer from Azeroth would later travel to the Xenedar, now crashed on Argus, where they found the gravely injured Xe'ra and teleported her to the Vindicaar. Upon arrival and her reunion with Light's Heart, Xe'ra attempted to provide Illidan with his destiny through the Light, but Illidan stated he had traded his freedom for power before. As the two got into an argument about Illidan embracing the Light and whether his destiny was his own, Xe'ra even bound Illidan in chains of light to force the prophecy to be fulfilled and forge Illidan a new life. Stating that his life was not hers to take, Illidan ultimately broke free, declared his destiny is his own, and killed Xe'ra. Horrified, Turalyon cried that Illidan had doomed them all and attempted to strike him down. Illidan blocked Turalyon's blow, telling him that his faith had blinded him and there was no chosen one--only they could save themselves. Only some last vestiges of light remained, which was gathered up as Velen swore that the Light did not die with her and shone in each of them. Xe'ra's light was safeguarded in the Netherlight Crucible.
- (As Light's Heart) I am Xe'ra, one of the first naaru to be forged here during the great ordering of the cosmos.
Xe'ra also has dialogue during the following quests:
Xe'ra's personality is less benevolent, from the perspective of Azerothians, than most naaru witnessed thus far, marking a notable difference in portrayal intended to convey the individuality of naaru. Showing great overconfidence in her prophecy, arguably edging on pride, she was utterly devoted to its completion; sacrificing her own heart, hypocritically overlooking the very Legion-like actions of her "Chosen One", shaming those who had contributed to his downfall despite him being the aggressor, and even going as far as imprisoning him and attempting to force him to become Lightforged. She also showed a rather strict and severe attitude towards the Void, hiding its nature and the link her species had with it from her Army, and going so far as imprisoning Alleria, the wife of her greatest champion, because she'd chosen to begin wielding it.
Despite her negative attributes, she's still a naaru and her adoration for her Army of the Light is like a mother and her children, tying into her title as the 'Light Mother', and indeed her negative actions could be seen as akin to an overbearing mother; believing that she's protecting her children by making decisions for them and that she knows best. She showed particular fondness for Turalyon after saving him and his wife from the destruction of Draenor and eventually awarding him the High Exarch position. Her feelings for Alleria were equally caring, though she soured to elf after her delving into the Void.
Notes & trivia
- Her interaction with the leader of the class order charged to protect Light's Heart is different if they are an Illidari. Instead of blaming them for murdering Illidan and trying to guide them towards salvation, the Illidari leader, having sided with Illidan, is praised, and her goal with them is to make them understand Illidan's true goal and the sacrifices he made.
- Velen's assertion that naaru have imposed decisions on him in the past - referring to the moment Velen begged them to go back as the Genedar escaped from Argus - might align with this statement. However, Velen's statements are likely biased since the Genedar is a transport vessel and not a war ship, as such returning to Argus to face the Burning Legion would not have held the best results, specially after so many eredar had already sacrificed themselves to allow him and his followers to survive.
- , the leader of a group of naaru called the Sha'tar, condoned Illidan's death. It is unknown if A'dal knew about Xe'ra or about her prophecy, or if he did but still went against her. However, Xe'ra knew about Tempest Keep, the Sha'tar's dimensional fortress, and her descendant O'ros was aboard the Exodar, Velen's dimensional ship, which points towards some form of link.
- Xe'ra's affinity towards Illidan at first became suspicious among the fanbase. Speculations like Xe'ra being a kind of false illusion (perhaps created by Kil'jaeden) quickly spread. Illidan himself, at first, believed this about the "elder naaru" that he met as well, thinking that Kil'jaeden was not called "the Deceiver" for nothing. However, the elder naaru then rescued Illidan from having his spirit captured or destroyed by as he was attempting to set up a portal between Argus and Outland. Kil'jaeden roared in rage when Illidan managed to escape with the naaru's aid. Xe'ra eventually died on Argus, ironically by Illidan's hand.
- Xe'ra is the first confirmed female naaru as evidenced by her bearing the title of "Light Mother" as well as both Velen and Turalyon referring to Xe'ra as "she", rather than "it". She also has a feminine voice.
- Xe'ra is voiced by Kate Higgins.
- Before Patch 7.3.0, Xe'ra used a classic white naaru model during her appearance in .
- Xe'ra may be the "elder naaru" that appeared before Illidan shortly before his demise in the Black Temple, as they shared the same speech and prophecy about Illidan, and were encountered in a similar fashion as the player-character: through their spirits meeting.
- Xe'ra may be the naaru that appeared to Turalyon in Beyond the Dark Portal.
- ^ a b c d e f
- ^ a b
- ^ Rejection of the Gift
- ^ Battle for the Exodar
- ^ a b
- ^ Army of the Light reputation description
- ^ Blizzblizz - Entrevista com Interview, 27:55
- ^ a b World of Warcraft: Illidan
- ^ File:In the House of Light and Shadow.jpg (image history)
- ^ Beyond the Dark Portal, chapter 13