|This article or section needs to be cleaned up to a higher standard of quality.|
Large Monstrous Humanoid (Cold)
over 7 ft
about 1,200 lbs
Tribes Solitary, pair(12–36)
|Sources: Monster Guide, pg. 140|
Yetis are large, furry humanoid animals that usually live in or near caves. Some of the varieties in colder regions breathe ice breath. Yetis are skinnable, unlike most humanoids. Yetis can be found in Feralas, the Hillsbrad Foothills, Winterspring, and the Alterac Mountains. They can also be found in Northrend and Pandaria.
Although generally regarded as untamed beasts, yetis are actually quite intelligent. The ones in Feralas, notably Feral Scar, utilize strategy in combat, name each other and even believe in an afterlife called the "Afterlands." Those in Feralas forged an alliance with the Woodpaw clan of gnolls, with the help of Aramar Thorne and his crew.
This section concerns content exclusive to Wrath of the Lich King.
In Wrath of the Lich King, the yetis of Northrend got a new more intimidating look. They also appear to be far more intelligent than the yetis of the Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor, with the capability of complex speech and understanding.
The taunka of Northrend have been hunting the giant yetis of the Howling Fjord for generations. Traditionally, the hunt includes the usage of a loud horn carved from a ram horn and whose call allegedly mimics the mating call of the female yeti.
This section concerns content exclusive to Mists of Pandaria.
In Mists of Pandaria, the yetis of Pandaria receive a look that appears to be a cross betwen the huge yetis of Northrend and the smaller yetis found in the Eastern Kingdoms, while still looking intimidating.
This section concerns content exclusive to Warlords of Draenor.
Even though no yetis are found in the wilds of Draenor, a yeti mount is rewarded from . Draenic legends also tell of the monstrous Grumpus and his Grumpling minions, but it's possible that these creatures simply use the yeti model and aren't actually meant to be yetis.
- Feral Scar found in Feralas
- Rage Scar found in Feralas
- Ice Thistle found in Winterspring
- Icehollow found in Howling Fjord
- Icemane found in Storm Peaks
- Craghorn found on The Dread Chain
As a mount
- Main article: Yeti mounts
As a companion pet
- The Kun-Lai Runt can be captured in pet battles in Kun-Lai Summit.
- The Stunted Yeti can be captured in pet battles in Feralas.
- can be looted from Snow Mounds in Frostfire Ridge during the Feast of Winter Veil.
- The can be crafted by Engineers. However, the schematic to learn how to create this pet is no longer obtainable in the game.
- Frozo the Renowned's first flying carpet was made of yeti hair and burlap.
- As evidenced by Feral Scar, they believe that after they die, they go to a place called the afterlands of the yetis.
A warlock casting on a yeti.
In the RPG
Yetis are cousins to wendigos. They live in colder climates, far away from civilized communities. Yeti are far more territorial and aggressive than wendigo, usually attacking intruders on sight. A yeti begins combat with its breath weapon and then closes into melee, attacking fiercely.
Patches and hotfixes
- Hotfix (2017-09-12): "The yetis of Feralas should once again have facial hair."
- Patch 7.3.0 (2017-08-29): Model updated.
- Patch 1.3.0 (2005-03-07): Yeti will no longer flee when at low health.