|It is requested that a screenshot or screenshots be included in this article to improve its quality.|
High Exarch of the Lightbound,|
Voice of the Naaru,
Light of Hope,
|Race(s)||Draenei, Lightbound draenei|
|Class||Paladin, Priest (initially)|
|Affiliation(s)||Lightbound, Council of Exarchs, Hand of the Prophet|
|Former affiliation(s)||Alliance (allied)|
|Occupation||High Exarch of the Lightbound|
|Former occupation(s)||Exarch, Acolyte at the Temple of Karabor|
|Relative(s)||Samaara (older sister)|
|Mentor(s)||Velen, Exarch Hataaru|
- “Whenever I am afraid, I remember that the Light is with me, and together we are strong.”
- — Herself
Yrel [jiːɹɛl] (pronounced "Yee-Rell") is a member of the draenei's Council of Exarchs. She initially starts off as a naïve priestess of Karabor, enslaved by the Iron Horde, and eventually gains combat experience while fighting the orcish threat. After the demise of Velen and numerous betrayals from within draenei society, Yrel takes upon herself the burden of leading her people. An important ally of the Alliance forces on Draenor, she is one of the the main protagonists of World of Warcraft: Warlords of Draenor.
- 1 History
- 2 Locations
- 3 Quests
- 4 Abilities
- 5 Quotes
- 6 Notes and trivia
- 7 Speculation
- 8 Gallery
- 9 Videos
- 10 Patch changes
- 11 References
- 12 External links
Born on Draenor, the sanctuary of the exiled draenei, Yrel was dedicated to her faith. She can only remember being raised by her older sister, Samaara; it is unknown what happened to their parents. She grew up in the Temple of Karabor, the center of the Holy Light for her people, and as an adult served as an acolyte. Devoted to her beliefs and her studies, she showed promise as a healer. Prophet Velen noticed her talent. He invited her to train as his pupil and began to teach her the value of leadership and sacrifice. But Yrel carried a dark secret within her. Velen sensed it, and he foresaw that for good or ill, she had a larger role to play. Yet when she considered her prospects, Yrel preferred to stay inside the temple, quietly caring for those around her. Unfortunately, that ideal did not survive.
Her peaceful life was shattered when the savage orc clans forged themselves into a fighting force named the Iron Horde and set out to conquer Draenor. Yrel was captured and flung into a war. Now, she stands at the brink of greatness. Whatever her fate, Yrel is not destined to remain a humble acolyte in the Temple of Karabor. Draenor is in danger, and she's called to do something more: to shield her people from oblivion.
Warlords of Draenor
This section concerns content related to Warlords of Draenor.
Assault on the Dark Portal
Yrel was initially encountered by the Azeroth expedition during their mission in Tanaan Jungle, where she was being held by the Iron Horde as a slave in Umbral Halls. The adventurer found her after she had killed Ankova the Fallen in self-defense, the first time she'd taken a life. She then joined Khadgar's group. Upon leaving the cave, she and Liadrin healed the former Frostwolf and draenei prisoners. After the destruction of the Dark Portal, she accompanied the Alliance onto the ships of the Iron Horde.
She escaped with them to Shadowmoon Valley. There, her mentor Velen greeted them and gave them a piece of land called Lunarfall on which to establish a garrison. While the first perimeters were being built, Yrel asked the garrison's commander to kill Quakefist who was terrorizing the draenei. Afterwards, she left with the Prophet only to be sent back into the Garrison in order to show the commander the valley. They left for Embaari Village, where her sister, Samaara, lived. After their reunion, Samaara went to fight the Shadowmoon clan who had started attacking the draenei in the north. In the meantime, Yrel rejoined the Prophet in Teluuna Observatory where Ner'zhul captured draenei, Samaara included. Yrel and the adventurer confronted the Warlord but he escaped with the captives into Shaz'gul, leaving only Karnoth, Shard of the Dark Star. Karnoth was killed by the adventurer and their allies. Afterwards, she and Velen went to Twilight Glade from where she was sent to rescue the draenei.
In Shaz'gul, she led a group of the Rangari who were all captured and executed. Only Yrel was spared as the others forced her to hide just before they were discovered. As she was hiding, heartbroken at the loss of her Rangari, the adventurer was placing bombs around the village. Upon finding Yrel, the adventurer convinced her to fight on. Once the bombs exploded, the two escaped while the orcs were in chaos. The Prophet and his student then went to Anguish Fortress. After the commander disabled the protection, the draenei reached the top of the area and saw the Warlord and his Warchief introducing him the power of the void. After the orcs left, the draenei defeated a Void Lord. Yrel then found her sister on the brink of death. When Samaara succumbed to her wounds, Yrel swore to become strong in order to protect her people. She returned to Embaari from which she went to confront Ner'zhul once more. Though the draenei were initially unsuccessful and Ner'zhul summoned the Dark Star, it was stopped by the Prophet by sacrificing himself. Before going to meet his destiny, he passed the mark on his head to Yrel. The Dark Star was purified back into the Naaru K'ara. At that moment, the Iron Horde invaded Karabor. Vindicator Maraad quickly informed her of this and recommended to gather the draenei and flee, but Yrel was eager to fight on or Velen's death would be for nought. She flew to Karabor and started fighting against the orcs. She got to the harbor where, with the help of the adventurer and K'ara, annihilated the enemy forces and its leader, Commander Vorka. She returned to Embaari and announced victory, thanked the adventurer and gave them , Velen's hologram.
She and Maraad decided to send an expedition into Gorgrond in order to discover its secrets and use them against the Iron Horde. Eventually they too ventured there and sent the commander ahead to find Exarch Naielle. Unfortunately her camp had been attacked by the forces of the Primals. The commander eliminated the threat, and the remaining draenei with Thaelin Darkanvil traveled to the heart of Gorgrond and stationed themselves in Highpass. Yrel and her group of Rangari then continued to fight the Primals until the genesaur Iyu was killed and the was claimed. With the newfound artifacts and new allies, she lead an attack on Iron Approach to the north. They destroyed an enemy army, Commander Gar, and the gronn Goc. They lost the artifacts, however, and she wanted to regroup in the Garrison and plan their next move.
Yrel, Maraad and Thaelin then ventured into Talador to halt the Iron Horde's invasion. She started worrying about Maraad's anger. On her orders, explosives were stolen and used to destroy their weapons. When the army stationed in Tuurem was destroyed, she joined Khadgar near Shattrath to plan their counter-attack. She claimed that Maraad was lost in anger and accompanied the group into Shattrath's harbor where she defended the archmage. Eventually, she, Maraad and Durotan attacked Blackhand on his flagship. The Warlord overcame his enemies and almost killed everyone. In his last moments of life, Maraad used his remaining power and summoned an energy shield to protect Yrel. She then saw Blackhand walking to Durotan so she picked up Maraad's hammer and tossed it at Blackhand. The warlord grabbed Yrel but she quickly healed Durotan who threw his axe and Yrel cut it into Blackhand. The two and the bodies of their fallen comrades were then teleported back to harbor while the ship exploded. Afterwards she returned to Fort Wrynn.
Telaar in Nagrand was attacked by the Warsong clan and Yrel, now a Vindicator, suggested to build a new base for the Alliance and immediately gave necessary orders. Yrel herself was found north of Telaari Station in Yrel's Watch. When the troubles of the Warsong clan, Burning Blade clan and the highmaul ogres in Mar'gok's Overwatch dealt with, she sent her force into Lok-rath to capture the Warsong orcs. She sent the commander to the captured leader, Uruk Foecleaver, but the orcs refused to yield. Yrel had one more task for the commander - Thaelin had sent her boxes full of baby goren as a prank and she asked him to collect them and sent them back to the dwarf in order to get her revenge. Once the Alliance forces were gathered and ready, she led the attack on Grommashar and Garrosh. After killing Durn the Hungerer, she ordered Rangari D'kaan to guard the entrance to Garrosh's throne area. With the words that Maraad would be proud of her, D'kaan blew the gate and Yrel with the commander entered and started fighting Garrosh. The fight was stopped by Thrall who challenged him to mak'gora. Yrel was then seen with the Frostwolf orcs, Horde and Alliance planning their next steps near the Stones of Prophecy where Garrosh was killed.
Yrel returned to Shadowmoon and visited the Garrison, telling Deedree to send the commander to Elodor. Yrel explained that she had been invited by the Council of Exarchs to face the Exarch trials, but she needs help with three tasks. She entered Auchindoun and defeated the fallen Exarch Hataaru and Maraad who told her she was indeed ready. She also needed to kill the fury Everburn in Frostfire Ridge and help the rangari in Nagrand with their poison problem in Cerulean Lagoon. After it was done, her final task was to defeat the remaining Exarchs - Akama, Naielle and Maladaar. Once she did it, Maladaar announced her as Exarch and joined the Council and the coliseum in Karabor exploded in joy.
Fury of Hellfire
Yrel arrived to Lunarfall and met with King Wrynn. She praised his tactical strategies. Yrel joined with the Alliance commander to seek out a shipyard constructor named Solog Roark. The orc told them to put a hammer in his hands and fight about it. The Exarch proclaimed that she didn't want him dead for they needed a shipwright. When the first transport was finished, they traveled to Tanaan Jungle. After scouting the eastern area and disabling Iron Horde's machinery, Lion's Watch is established. She was determined to fight in the name of the Light and her loved ones even end of the world should come. Yrel then told the Alliance commander to seek out Maladaar in the west. She feared that he may have encountered the brunt of Gul'dan's forces.
Upon hearing of renewed Shadow Council activity within Auchindoun, she and Liadrin return and discover it to be under attack by the Sargerei. They are able to push the traitorous Draenei out and discover Teron'gor had continued devouring souls up until he was recovered by Tyrant Velhari. Teron'gor, now calling himself Gorefiend, is cut off from his feast of souls and Auchindoun is saved once again as Gorefiend leaves for Hellfire Citadel. A renegade warlock named Oronok Torn-heart told the Alliance commander that Gul'dan is about to find the Cipher of Damnation. Although too late to deliver the message sooner, he and Yrel disabled a barrier in Corrupt Refuge where Gul'dan just summoned Cyrukh. The two casters were left weakened by the spell but the commander killed the elemental lord, destroying the Cipher and thwarting Gul'dan's plan. Yrel thanked him for it.
Some time later, Yrel was told by Khadgar that the Alliance commander had accomplished great things. She and the other Exarch gather in Karabor and witness the blessing of naaru K'ara enhancing the commander's legendary ring. Yrel and the draenei people will stand with the commander to the end. After this, she says that she would like to see Azeroth and comments that it must be an amazing world.
Yrel accompanies Khadgar and Grommash as they fight Archimonde alongside with the heroes of Azeroth. After Archimonde is defeated, Yrel tells Khadgar that they will help him if he ever needs the people of Draenor. She vows to see Draenor rebuilt.
Battle for Azeroth
This section concerns content related to Battle for Azeroth.
In the years after the Legion's defeat, the orcs and draenei lived together in peace. But eventually more naaru arrived on Draenor and the draenei became fanatical. Decades after heroes from Azeroth left Draenor, Yrel has become the High Exarch of the Lightbound: a group of fanatical draenei and orcs devoted to spreading the Light's influence, even forcibly, according to the will of the Light Mother. She confronted Grommash, referring to him as an old friend and attempting to get him to stand down as he and the Mag'har resist the Lightbound. Grommash held her off while a group of Mag'har led by Overlord Geya'rah, daughter of Draka and the deceased Durotan, fled to Azeroth. The outcome of her fight with Grommash is unknown.
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Redemption Rise||95 - 100||391,416|
|Fort Wrynn||96 - 100||26,581|
|Nagrand (alternate universe)||??||186,300|
|91 - 100||6,051|
|The Desolation of Gorefiend||100||74,520|
|Hellfire Citadel (alternate universe)||103||825,000|
|Location||Level range||Health range|
|Assault on the Dark Portal||90 - 100||27,510|
|90 - 100||6,442|
|91 - 100||6,855|
|91 - 100||34,271|
|92 - 100||134,820|
|Bushwhacker||93 - 100||33,226|
|94 - 100||137,081|
|Strike While the Iron is Hot||99 - 100||186,300|
- Tanaan Jungle
- Dauntless Fury — Holy light infuses the target healing them fully. In addition light fills the target increasing haste by 200%, increasing multistrike chance by 100%, and reduces the cost of spells and abilities by 100%.
- Divine Bulwark — Protects the target with a shield of divine light for 8 sec. The shield absorbs up to 10000 damage and inflicts Holy damage on attackers.
- Judgment of Hope — Attacks against the target trigger Hope's Embrace, creating a bolt of light that inflicts Holy damage to all enemies and heals allies within 5 yards of the impact.
- Radiant Light — Creates a zone of holy light that heals allies for 10% of their maximum life. In addition, the power of the light guides their attacks, increasing damage done by 20%
- Shield of Vengeance — Hurls a holy shield at the enemy, dealing 185 to 215 Holy damage and knocking them prone. Affects 3 total targets.
- Vindicator's Fury — Inflicts Holy damage to all enemies within 5 yards of the caster.
Assault on the Dark Portal
- Main article: Yrel (quest)
- Main article: Keli'dan the Breaker
- Main article: A Taste of Iron#Progress
- Main article: The Home Stretch#Progress
- We got to save who we can!
- I'm not leaving without the others!
- Light protect us! I have no idea.
- The Prophet guides us.
- What is happening to this world?
- Light help us.
- There is a time for prayer, and a time for action.
- Faith is my mirror, but will is my weapon.
- This is our moment.
- We must unite.
- It is time to take a stand.
- Please, be careful.
- With faith, we may triumph.
- We must hold on to our faith.
- <Draenei language> In the light, we triumph.
- Victory will be ours.
- We must never rest.
- We will answer the prayers of my people.
- The prophet's faith was not misplaced.
- Notable dialogues
- Main article: Finding a Foothold#Progress
- Main article: Quakefist
- Main article: A Hero's Welcome
- Main article: Shadows Awaken#Progress
- Main article: Into Twilight#Progress
- Main article: The Fate of Karabor#Progress
- Main article: Escape From Shaz'gul#Progress
- Main article: The Dark Side of the Moon#Notes
- Main article: Darkness Falls#Completion
- Main article: The Righteous March#Progress
- Main article: The Defense of Karabor#Progress
- Main article: Welcome to Gorgrond
- Main article: A Harvester Has Come#Notes
- Main article: Deeproot
- Main article: The Voice of Iyu#Notes
- Main article: Iyu (Alliance)#Notes
- Main article: Strike While the Iron is Hot (Lumber Mill) (Alliance)
- Main article: Strike While the Iron is Hot (Sparring Arena) (Alliance)
- Main article: The Battle for Shattrath#Progress
- Main article: Terms of Surrender (Alliance)#Notes
- Main article: Lok-rath is Secured (Alliance)#Notes
- Main article: THAELIN!#Notes
- Main article: And Justice for Thrall#Progress
- Main article: Garrison Campaign: The Exarch's Call
- Samaara is the only family that I have. As long as I can remember, she has taken care of me.
- She is good and kind, whereas I am... not as convicted.
- Prophet Velen is a great teacher, but he's too serious sometimes!
- I would much rather live out the holy principles than read about them in a book, don't you agree?
- For many years, the Shadowmoon Clan and the draenei of Karabor have lived in relative peace.
- Things began to change after this... Iron Horde... arrived.
- Arbor Glen is in trouble. We had better go see if we can help.
- Twilight Glade
Maraad says his injury is not serious, but in truth, he was gravely wounded by Ner'zul[sic]. Though I am not sure which suffered greater ill - his body or his pride.
Nevertheless, he was very lucky you showed up when you did.
- Prophet Velen was truly a great teacher. I will remember him, always.
- I have lost both my sister and my mentor, and yet I know there are others who suffer even more greatly.
- It is for them that I must go on.
- There is so much to do. We must stay focused.
- I am very thankful that you are here, <name>. You are one of the few people I know I can trust.
- We will hold the Temple. I will not accept any other outcome.
- We've done it, <name>! K'ara's energy has destroyed what's left of the Iron Horde army.
- We are safe.
This jungle is beautiful. I have never seen a place like this before.
Of course, Kaalya keeps insisting that is why 'the jungle will kill you.'
- Redemption Rise
I fear that Maraad is becoming consumed by his anger.
Fury of Hellfire
- The human King is quite versed in military strategy, but even he can't perform miracles.
- If we're to break through into the jungles of Tanaan, we're going to need some sort of diversion.
- Tanaan Jungle
- Gul'dan's army awaits within the armored walls of Hellfire Citadel. What horrors lie within, we have yet to find out.
- Our forces here at Lion's Watch will hold back the demonic threat until the last of us falls.
- First approach of the day
- Gul'dan is creating his own army of zealots. Where should we strike back?
- Gul'dan's fel minions are closing in around us. We MUST go on the offensive, commander!
- I have the latest reports from the Rangari right here, commander. Where should we strike?
- If this is truly the end of the world, then I, for one, will go out fighting. For Samara, for Maraad, for all those who gave their lives to give us this day!
- Our warriors are blessed by the light, sure of purpose and hardened by battle. They await your orders.
- The battle rages throughout Tanaan, Commander. Where shall we focus our attention today?
- This jungle hides dangers untold. But if we are wise, we can use it to mask our next attack.
- Gul'dan will not break us. The Legion will NEVER break us! Today we fight back.
- Battle daily completed
- Another triumph for the Alliance! You should press our advantage and attack one of the other Tanaan hotspots.
- Keep up the good fight, commander! There are other hotspots throughout Tanaan that are now vulnerable to attack.
- Well done, commander. Rangari scouts report that the other battlefields throughout Tanaan are now vulnerable.
- You've got Gul'dan's minions scrambling, commander. Consider attacking some of the other Tanaan battlefields while they are on the run.
- Notable dialogues
- Main article: The Train Gang (Alliance)#Progress
- Main article: The Invasion of Tanaan (Alliance)#Progress
- Main article: Obstacle Course (Alliance)#Progress
- Main article: The Battle for the West (Alliance)
- Main article: Light Be With You#Notes
- Main article: Archimonde (Hellfire Citadel tactics)#Quotes
Notes and trivia
- Yrel's armor is inlaid with a large purple crystal and enhanced by the Holy Light.
- She owes six copper to Maami!
- Yrel has been compared to Joan of Arc.
- In early builds of the Warlords of Draenor alpha, Maraad and Yrel were in a romantic relationship and she referred to Velen as her uncle.
- Yrel is voiced by Erin Fitzgerald.
- Her horn shape was previously unique to NPCs and not available to players, but they have been made available with the addition of Lightforged draenei.
- Yrel's character biography mentions that she carries a "dark secret" within her: Velen sensed it, and he foresaw that for good or ill, she had a larger role to play. What this refers to, or if she is even aware of it, has not yet been revealed. It's possible this is an abandoned plot thread from the alpha.
- In Heroes of the Storm Yrel jokes that her "dark secret" is that she sees dead people.
- This 'dark secret' plot hook may have influenced her appearance in Battle for Azeroth as a fanatical and more antagonistic character.
- During the patch 7.3.0 PTR, a Lightforged draenei NPC called Yrelka was datamined. She was renamed to simply "Commander" before the release of the patch and did not make it to live.
- Yrel is a playable character in Heroes of the Storm.
- Some of her quotes have her being upset that she was not in Legion despite the Legion being the draenei's ancient enemy, referencing how some fans asked for her to appear during the expansion.
- In another she talks about how beautiful Farahlon is and how she pities anyone who has not seen it themselves, referencing how the island was cut from Warlords of Draenor.
- Yrel's generic name is Karabor Guardian.
- In-game triggers refer to her as Vindicator Erryl.
So far, it hasn't been clarified of which group Yrel has become an Exarch. Either she replaced Exarch Hataaru, whom she called teacher, as leader of the Artificers; or Exarch Othaar leading the Sha'tari group.
In regards to Yrel's "dark secret" cut before the release of Warlords of Draenor, it is known that she referred to Velen as her "uncle" during the expansion's alpha. Given Velen's former views of and relation to Kil'jaeden and Archimonde - as well as Yrel's participation in the latter's encounter in Hellfire Citadel - it's possible that Yrel was meant to be the daughter of either Kil'jaeden or Archimonde.
It's possible this concept of a less noble aspect of the character inspired her transition to an antagonist in the Mag'har unlock scenario.
- Fan art
Yrel by Zeon-in-a-tree.
- Garrison (Alliance)
- Shadowmoon Valley: Darkness Falls
- Talador: The Battle for Shattrath
- Hellfire Citadel: Victory in Draenor!
- The Story of Yrel
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Added.