- Not to be confused with Sekhan.
|Race||Jungle troll (Humanoid)|
|Affiliation(s)||Darkspear tribe, Horde|
|Location||Redridge Pass, Redridge Mountains; Misty Reed Farm, Swamp of Sorrows|
Zekhan is a jungle troll shaman who participated in the Battle for Lordaeron. He is the son of Hekazi, who fought in the Third War alongside Varok Saurfang. His father told him tales about Saurfang and how he could slaughter ten enemies with a single blow. Zekhan eventually joined the Horde's war effort.
Siege of Lordaeron
On the eve of the battle, Zekhan found Saurfang atop the keep's walls, observing the camping Alliance forces. Zekhan asked him for advice since this was to be his first battle, and told him about his eagerness to die with honor and glory. Saurfang's only advice to him was not to die, and he added that there was no honor or glory in this war. The orc then went to meet the Alliance head on and alone, but Zekhan rushed to him and convinced him to live another day by returning Dranosh's necklace that Varok had left to burn on the walls. Varok took it, the same way he retrieved it from Dranosh's body, and returned back behind the walls just as the battle began.
Tides of Vengeance
This section concerns content related to Battle for Azeroth.
At the climax of the Siege of Lordaeron, Saurfang was captured by the Alliance and imprisoned in Stormwind Stockade. He refused to go with the Horde when they broke into the prison, saying he would never return to the Horde as long as Sylvanas ruled it. Some time later, Saurfang broke out of his cell via the sewers and traveled into Redridge Mountains, where he ran into Zekhan. Knowing that Sylvanas would send assassins after him, Saurfang told Zekhan to watch the Redridge Pass for any sign of Horde agents, and to warn him if there were. With that Saurfang continued into the Swamp of Sorrows and set up camp at Misty Reed Farm. Zekhan would later run into a Horde adventurer who had trailed Saurfang alongside Dark Ranger Lyana on Sylvanas's orders. After imploring them for to aid Saurfang, the adventurer can choose to aid Zekhan in his mission or refuse.
Those who choose to aid Zekhan are informed that Lyana was sent to kill Saurfang and faced with this knowledge the two rush to Saurfang's side. Lyana accused Saurfang of turning his back on his duty and then conspiring with humans against Sylvanas. Zekhan and a Horde adventurer arrived and stood by Saurfang after all he had done for the Horde. When Lyana and her forces were killed, Saurfang told Zekhan and the adventurer to return to Orgrimmar and make it look like Saurfang escaped, to keep the adventurer in Sylvanas's favor, and so Zekhan could spread the word in Orgrimmar that those who wish to restore the honor of the Horde must not give up hope. Promising his friends to see them again, Saurfang traveled further west into the swamp.
Those who reject Zekhan's mission instead report to Sylvanas Windrunner, who after being informed of the situation remarks that she has special plans for Zekhan.
- Main article: Tracking Tipoff#Notes
- Main article: Grim Tidings#Notes
- Main article: A Warrior's Death#Notes
- Main article: Queen's Favor#Notes
- How can me help?
- Greetings, my friend.
- I be honored to serve.
- Ey mon.
- Me bringin' the lightnin' and the thunda'!
- The other trolls say I've become something called a- me-me. Can anybody tell me what that means?
- (Zandali), mon. The loa just made me that way.
- The Horde be our family.
- Together we be strong.
- We will never give up.
- Honor the spirits of the past.
Notes and trivia
- Zekhan rides a green-colored raptor and a .
- Before his name was revealed, he was referred to as "Zappy Boi" by the community due to his lightning attacks in the Battle for Azeroth cinematic. His actual name was revealed on Twitter by Blizzard with the release of Old Soldier.
- Ythisens doesn't think anyone at Blizzard expected the Zappy Boi memes, and they were slightly confused at being told of the Zappy Boi posts' popularity right after the Battle for Azeroth announcement. Old Soldier was being created before the official unveiling of the Battle for Azeroth cinematic. As such, Blizzard had no way to predict Zekhan's popularity with the community before his inclusion in Old Soldier.
- According to Ythisens, with the release of Old Soldiers, someone in leadership at Blizzard at some point internally said "Let the Zappi boi memes flow".
- Blizzard Customer Support looked at character names beginning with 'Zap' before and after the release of Old Soldier, and shared a chart.
- He is not to be confused with the troll who charged Anduin Wrynn in the Battle for Azeroth cinematic, as that one had gray hair and different body armor.
- His name is almost an anagram of his father's.
- Zekhan is voiced by Valence Thomas.
- Patch 8.1.0 (2018-12-11): Added.
- ^ a b Terran Gregory on Twitter - "Zekhan, the zappiest boi. Voice actors tagged below!"
- ^ a b c Andrea Toyias on Twitter - "It's my birthday & I just received the BEST gift I could ever receive..the release of Saurfang cinematic, "Old Soldier". Have to give a MASSIVE shout out to my f'in rad actors: @MorgadoAndrew (Saurfang) & @1valence (Zekhan). They took my breath away & put their souls into it. xx"
- ^ Old Soldier
- ^ Battle for Azeroth cinematic
- ^ Caden House 2018-08-03. Blizzard, be honest with us... - World of Warcraft Forums. Retrieved on 2018-08-04. “So for a serious answer, no. I don't think anyone expected the Zappi Boi thing. In fact when we told people that Zappi Boi posts were the new hotness right after the announcement they were a little confused, "Zappi what?, really?, alright then why not?" I believe was the first response. Nobody expected him to be named that's for sure. This game has had so many weird memed things before we even used "meme" as a word in this way, so nobody didn't not get it at least. As for the timeline, yes the Saurfang cinematic was being created before you guys ever saw the Battle for Lordaeron cinematic, so we truly had no way to predict it. Just luck? If you want to call it that.”
- ^ Caden House 2018-08-03. Blizzard, be honest with us... - World of Warcraft Forums. Retrieved on 2018-08-04. “I won't tell you who said it internally but someone in leadership at some point did say "Let the Zappi boi memes flow"”
- ^ World of Warcraft on Twitter -"The rise of #ZappyBoi! @BlizzardCS looked at character names beginning with Zap before and after the Old Soldier cinematic and the results were... shocking. ⚡"
- ^ Terran Gregory on Twitter - "Anduin confronted a different troll :)"
|Redridge Mountains||Swamp of Sorrows|