- 1 Important information
- 2 Eastern Kingdoms
- 3 Kalimdor
- 4 Northrend
- 5 Planes
- 6 Island locations
- 7 Maelstrom RPG locations
- 8 Draenor/Outland
There are many closed off zones on Azeroth, but what if they were to be opened? The purpose of this page is to create a fact-based speculative zone ideas, similar to the Future race ideas page.
- + Lime green - strongly for.
- + Dark green - for.
- ? White - neutral, could influence either way
- Also used for speculation and comparisons, that may have some support in lore or World of Warcraft game mechanics.
- - Orange - against.
- - Red - strongly against.
- Grey - related info
- Used for speculation or observation.
If you think something on this page is inaccurate, please check the discussion tab before you change it yourself. Let people know you think it is incorrect, and leave your ideas and sources for your information. Together, we can agree on how feasible it is. Only add verifiable and cited information. Please use your common sense.
Again, it is mandatory that this page only be edited after changes are discussed through peer review here and agreed upon by group consensus. Please discuss ideas on the talk page if you feel there should be changes to the main article, so the page does not become a battlefield for clashing ideas. If you do not follow the above, you may be prevented from editing.
- + The instance doesn't cover up the entire zone. Many subzones already established in the lore are missing.
- + Tor'Watha, a troll gate in Eversong Woods, could lead to this zone.
- ? Already in-game as an instance.
- + Established place in lore as the location of Druid of the Claw's lair's location and Illidan's prison.
- + Timbermaw Hold has a side tunnel currently blocked by a door that could lead down to this zone.
- ? Possible location for the dark trolls.
- + The instances don't cover up the entire zone. Many subzones already established in the lore are missing.
- + The Lich King talks about it as an introduction to the final encounter for the Trial of the Crusader and Trial of the Grand Crusader.
- ? Already in-game as two instances.
- - Not likely to happen as Northrend has already been played through with World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King.
- ? The vanilla Emerald Dream game files are still in-game as of Legion.
- - Emerald Nightmare is already dealt with in Legion.
- - The Emerald Dream has already been visited in WoW.
- + The entrances to the Sanctums exist in-game.
- + Each sanctum would have a distinct geography and environment.
- ? No evidence of non-dragon lifeforms within the Sanctums.
- - The Ruby Sanctum and Obsidian Sanctum exist as instances.
- - Reportedly destroyed in Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects.
- First seen in Warcraft 2
- Balor was a domain of Azeroth (Kingdom of Stormwind) to the west of Stormwind City.
- + Established place in lore as former home to Darkspear trolls.
- + Has been featured in a short story.
- - The Sea Witch has severely crippled, if not, completely sunk the islands.
- However, this may not be the case since the islands were still active several months later when Zalazane and Vol'jin returned from their trial in First Home.
- Dragon Isles is only mentioned in the quest Unscarred Black Scale.
- + Has concept art from vanilla WoW.
- ? Not much known about this place, they (or one of them) may be home of one of the dragonflights.
- Has only been labeled on a RPG map of Azeroth.
- + There is recent precedent for RPG locations being elevated to canon, such as Boralus.
- - Speculated to be a different name for Plunder Isle.
- The name Hiji is compatible with the Japanese syllabary, and could be used as the home for a civilization of Japanese-inspired humans.
Islands of battlegrounds or scenarios as open world zones
- Crestfall first seen in Warcraft 2
- Others first seen in Battle for Azeroth
- Strand of the Ancients, Isle of Conquest or Seething Shore could become open world zones. Seething Shore can be seen in the Battle for Azeroth Class Trial.
- Lost Glacier could become an open-world zone.
- Island expedition locations could become open world zones.
Island south of Tol Barad
- First seen in Cataclysm
- Island south of Tol Barad that is currently inaccessible could become a new zone.
- + Goblin capital Undermine not in-game, as well town of Pyrix, as well as RPG lore locations Edj and Voodress Village.
- Bilgewater Port and the MOTHERLODE!! already featured in-game.
- Bilgewater Port inaccessible after the goblin starting experience and as such not accessible by any other race.
- + Established place in lore as Bloodsail Buccaneers' main base.
- First seen in Warcraft 2
- In the Second War the Old Horde built a secret base on the island.
Maelstrom RPG locations
- Surface Maelstrom already featured in-game, as well as the underwater Lightless Cavern location.
- Naga capital Nazjatar is featured in patch 8.2.0.
- + Established other places in RPG lore, including makrura capital Mak'aru.
Other Draenor remnants in Outland
- Possible Draenor remnants outside current Outland.
- - Quite possibly destroyed and other remnants don't exist or are not yet established in lore.
- + Outland Arena in Warcraft III accessed by Rexxar by a Shimmering Portal in Dustwallow Marsh.
- + On the loading screen for Outland Arena it says that "Lost pieces of Draenor still hurtle through space" implying there could be more pieces of Draenor.
- + Islands shown on the map in Warcraft 2 not seen in Outland.
- + Ashran established in alternative Draenor not seen in Outland.
Farahlon (alternate universe) or other lands
- + Farahlon established place in lore both in alternative Draenor and as the past version of Netherstorm.