- This article is about the in-game instance. For lore and history of the Emerald Nightmare, see Emerald Nightmare.
Emerald Nightmare is located in Val'sharah with its source being located at the tainted World Tree, Shaladrassil. From here the Nightmare Lord Xavius and his loyal satyr spread the corruption across both Emerald Dream and the physical world.
This instance opened on September 20th, 2016. Mythic difficulty and Raid Finder wing 1 opened on September 27th, 2016. Raid Finder wing 2 opened on October 4, 2016 (one week earlier than had been previously scheduled). The final Raid Finder wing opened on October 18, 2016.
The Emerald Dream was created by the titans as a blueprint for Azeroth itself - a verdant and perfect mirror that reflects the state of nature had it remained unspoiled by so-called civilization. For many years, the druids and keepers who are closest to nature have noticed signs of an unsettling presence stirring within the Dream. Spurred on by the Legion and Nightmare Lord Xavius, that creeping corruption has now burst forth, and will engulf all of Azeroth if it is not rooted out at its source.
Fly to Starsong Refuge in Val'sharah, and follow the road towards Shala'nir. The entrance to the raid is to the left over a series of bridges.
Geography and Subzones
- Clutch of Corruption: At the base of Shaladrassil, the withered husk of the once proud green dragon Nythendra remains guarding access to the Nightmare-corrupted Dream.
- Core of the Nightmare: The Nightmare bleeds out into Azeroth, warping reality. Heroes will need to enter the Nightmare portals and cleanse the corruption sealing off access to the deeper depths.
- Nightmare Grizzly Hills: Overlooking a dark and twisted Grizzly Hills, the wild god Ursoc waits to dispatch the enemies of his new master.
- Nightmare Un'goro Crater: A darkness grows in the middle of the jungles of this titan-shaped crater, the heart of corruption known as Il'gynoth beats from within a Nightmare-twisted world tree.
- Nightmare Mulgore: Under the shadows of a broken mesa, the tormented soul of Elerethe Renferal lurks, spreading her webs of destruction as she finishes preparations to destroy those she feels betrayed her.
- Emerald Dreamway: This once pristine glade has been completely consumed by the Nightmare thanks to the corrupting influence of Ysondre and the spirits of her companions, the Dragons of Nightmare. The way must be cleared if there is any hope of stopping the Nightmare's spread into Azeroth.
- Nightmare Moonglade: The most sacred place in the Dream warps and collapses under the veil of the Nightmare, further harmed by the active corrupting influence of the demi-god Cenarius.
- Rift of Aln: An endless abyss. Half formed, infinite darkness. This is the true soul of the Nightmare. This is the ultimate fate of Azeroth should her heroes fail to stop the Nightmare Lord.
- Emerald Dream: A pristine, untouched source of pure life. Can the veils of Nightmare be parted enough to find the path to this serene paradise?
- ^ Also drops for Enhancement shamans.