- "Let sleeping beasts lie." — Eriun Moonglow
- Has a PvP duration of 8 seconds, and is subject to diminishing returns.
- Hibernate is only usable on beasts and dragonkin. This includes hunter pets as well as shamans in form and druids in shapeshift forms.
- Both and reduce the casting time of this spell.
- The listed duration is the maximum, and Hibernate has a chance to break early, especially on higher level targets.
Tips and tactics
- In a PvE setting, Hibernate gives druids a tremendous advantage as it allows you to take on beasts much more powerful than yourself. A good druid can kill an elite beast mob of his or her own level and even one or two levels higher by alternating Hibernate and .
- Used in combination with and, where permitted, , Hibernate makes the druid an impressive farming class, allowing you to get to herbs and mining nodes without having to fight for them.
- Hibernate can be used to help crowd control in instances where beasts or dragonkin are present.
- Only one target can be forced to hibernate at a time. Casting Hibernate on a second target will cause the first to awaken.
- Like most crowd control, Hibernate doubles in function as a spamable counterspell: Even though the target will not remain asleep while players are beating on it, any of its abilities in progress (with a cast time) will be interrupted.
- In PvP, It is good to use against a Hunter's pet, a Druid in Feral forms, and a Shaman in form. However, due to its cast time, a good player can often shift out of form before the spell is done casting to prevent it from being used on them. It also has a somewhat shorter PvP duration of 8 seconds, and is subject to diminishing returns.
- Patch 8.0.1 (2018-07-17): Added.
- Patch 6.0.2 (2014-10-14): Removed.
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): Now has a PvP duration of 8 seconds.
- Patch 2.2.0 (2007-09-25): Duration against PvP targets has been reduced to 10 seconds.
- Patch 1.2.0 (2004-12-18): Players now have an increasing chance to break free of the effect, such that it is unlikely the effect will last more than 15 seconds.
- Patch 1.1.0 (2004-11-07): Facing requirement removed.
- Patch 0.12 (2004-10-11): Added. (Level 18)