We have begun migration of most wikis to our new host, Amazon Web Services. All but the top 100 wikis are in read-only mode until the migration is complete. Estimated completion: End of Week.
- Death is only a step away.
Shadowstep is a level 13 Assassination and Subtlety rogue ability. It teleports the player behind a target and gives them a short movement speed increase buff.
- (Assassination honor talent) reduces the cooldown by 66% when used on a target marked by the rogue's .
- (Subtlety honor talent) reduced the cooldown by 50% when used on a friendly target.
Tips and tactics
- The ability to cover up to 25 yards and increased movement speed gives a defining edge against opponents who like to kite the rogue from afar. Now you can just Shadowstep behind a mage trying to land a nasty Pyroblast on you, and stun them.
- Yet another interrupt in the rogue's arsenal. A well timed shadowstep will give an unhappy mage the message: Target needs to be in front of you.
- Extremely useful for chasing down runners and mounts. Vanish (if it isn't on cooldown), then Shadowstep + Cheapshot (You can also Gouge or use on your OH) for a ranged stun or cripple. You can also Shadowstep while stealthed and Sap (Dirty Tricks makes this much more smooth) a mounted opponent, then do what you will with them.
- Careful when utilizing this talent near cliffs, especially in Outland. An unlucky rogue might accidentally send himself plummeting. Just cast or wait for their back to be more sensible to Shadowstep behind.
- If you are chasing an enemy you can Shadow Step then Crippling Poison them so they can't escape. Shiv does NOT consume the Shadow Step damage buff.
- You can Shadowstep through walls and over gaps.
- If you run and jump off one side of a gap, you can "grapple hook" over to the other side by Shadowstepping an enemy on the other side. This could also be used if you accidentally fall off an edge and your target is still alive to pull yourself back up.
- Shadowstep is a common Rogue spell in Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft. The flavor text reads: "Rogue dance troops will sometimes Shadowstep away at the end of a performance. Crowds love it."
Patches and hotfixes
- Patch 7.2.5 (2017-06-13): Shadowstep now has 2 charges for Subtlety.
- Patch 7.0.3 (2016-07-19): Changed to a level 13 ability for Assassination and Subtlety rogues.
- Hotfix (2013-09-13): "Rogues can no longer use Shadowstep on Antipersonnel Cannons in Strand of the Ancients."
- Patch 5.4.0 (2013-09-10): Now has a reduced cooldown of 20 seconds (down from 24 seconds).
- Patch 5.0.4 (2012-08-28): Now available to all specializations as a talent. No longer increases damage done by Ambush or Garrote. Duration reduced from 3 sec to 2 sec.
- Hotfix (2011-05-04): "Shadowstep is instantly teleporting players behind their target when the target is in motion."
- Patch 4.0.6 (2011-02-08): Cooldown has been increased to 24 seconds, up from 20 seconds.
- Patch 4.0.1 (2010-10-12): Changed from a talented ability to the Primary ability of the Subtlety Tree.
- Patch 2.3.0 (2007-11-13): Can now be used at any time, not only while stealthed. Now increases the damage and reduces the threat caused by the next damaging ability. Cooldown increased to 30 seconds. Range changed to 25 yards. (Minimum range removed)
- Patch 2.3.2 (2008-01-08): Now adds a 3 second, 70% movement speed increase.
- Patch 2.1.0 (2007-05-22): Cooldown has been reduced to 15 seconds.
- Patch 2.0.3 (2007-01-09): Added.